Mother's Day is a holiday celebrated in many countries around the world to honor and appreciate mothers and mother figures. While every matriarch deserves more than just a day of celebration, a sentimental gift can commemorate the occasion and pay homage to the sacrifices they make for their families.
Where did Mother’s Day Come From?
The modern version of Mother's Day originated in the United States in the early 20th century. It traces back to Anna Jarvis, who in 1908 held a memorial for her mother, Ann Jarvis, a social activist who had organized Mother's Day Work Clubs in the 1850s to promote health and sanitation.
After her mother's death, Anna Jarvis campaigned for a national holiday to honor mothers, and in 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day. The holiday quickly became popular and was adopted by many countries around the world.
The Top 5 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Gemstone jewelry: A piece of jewelry featuring your mom's favorite gemstone or the gemstones of her children or grandchildren is a timeless and meaningful option.
- Custom jewelry: A custom piece of jewelry is an amazing way to show your mom/mother figure how special she is to you. Not only is it incredibly thoughtful, it is a great way to express individuality by creating a piece that is one of a kind (just like your mama).
- Personalized necklace or pendants: A necklace or pendant featuring your mom's name, initials, or a special message is a beautiful and thoughtful gift. You can also include the name or initials of their children or grandchildren for *extra* sentimentality.
- Earrings: Consider a pair of earrings in your mom's favorite style, such as studs or hoops. Don’t forget to choose a base material that is her favorite or complements her skin tone!
- Ring: If your mom loves wearing rings, consider a simple band, a stacking ring, or a ring that can be engraved with an important initial.